Friday, July 24, 2015

After Kindle Unlimited & Follow-Up


After a lot of thought, I made the decision to remove all my titles from the Kindle Select program. Books in Kindle Select are automatically enrolled in the Kindle Unlimited program. Kindle Unlimited is kind of like a Netflix for books. Readers pay around $10 per month and can read as many books as they want without paying an extra charge, as long as those books are also enrolled in the program. Kindle Unlimited was great for independent authors in the beginning. Now? Not so much. I won't rehash my rant from my last post, but I will say that a lot of authors were hit pretty hard when Amazon (without much warning) changed the way royalties are paid to authors who give them exclusivity for 90 days and enroll their (our) books in Kindle Unlimited.

I'm not the type of person who does anything without a lot of research. It took me weeks to finally make the decision to go exclusive with Amazon way back when. That decision was not done lightly, I can assure you. But this last thing by Amazon gave me no choice but to get out of the exclusivity deal and put my stories on other sites. It took all of 2 days for me to make that decision. That may seem quick to some, but I assure you that a lot of thought and research went into that particular decision. All my books are still on Amazon, but they are no longer free to Kindle Unlimited subscribers. I felt bad doing it, but I had no choice.

So, what now?

The Guy in the Coffee Shop and Willy the Kinky Elf & His Bad-Ass Reindeer are both on ARe (All Romance eBooks).

All of my others are on Apple, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Inktera (Formerly Page Foundry), Tolino, Kobo, and a couple of other sites. When I am able to take the time, I'll be creating a page on this blog that lists all the links. My site is in desperate need of a revamp anyway, so when I get the page created I'll post it on the right side where it's easy to access.

I should also point out that I cancelled my reader subscription to KU as well. I subscribed initially to support authors and to discover some who were new to me. To support them in the future, I will purchase the books outright.

What else?

Apparently my last blog post bothered someone, so I will respond to that here (without naming any names).


  • Yes, you CAN be a Christian and support same-sex marriage, and no, I don't feel that I was intentionally being rude with what I said.
  • What you said about the southern part of the United States just pisses me off, so it's probably best I leave that alone.
  • Finding Alex -Alex and Dean were introduced in Saving Travis. It was stated several times in that book that they brought others into their bed. There is no rewriting that story to reflect otherwise now. It should also be noted that Travis and Marc (the main characters in Saving Travis) likely never would've come together had Alex and Dean not taken thirds on occasion. 
  • The Amazon thing is (somewhat) explained above. No, our pulling out of KU does not make us greedy. It means that we feel that we should be treated fairly and with the way things stand right now, we aren't.
  • You have a right to your opinions about my country. However, your thoughts on our gun laws and everything else aren't relevant to me, sorry. I will not apologize for my patriotism. I will not apologize for being proud of the country I live in. I will also not apologize for showing that pride and patriotism on my blog. I refuse to debate things with anyone in regards to my country, politics, or anything else. My political views are mine and I won't be going back and forth with anyone over them. Those who know me in the real world know where I stand. I won't be discussing it with strangers.


Hopefully that answered all of that.

As for any book updates, I don't really have anything new to add right now. I've worked a bit more on some Christmas stories and I'm in the self-editing phase of a few other shorts. I will update here when something is closer to being confirmed.

I hope everyone is doing well and that there's a great weekend in store.

Until next time,

~Candi Kay

Re: Eye Candy - Who doesn't love a man with long, black hair?

1 comment:

  1. Oh em gee! Who doesn't like these hotties. Thanks for the eyecandy and the book updates.

    ReplyDelete